Featured Links:
  • Foundation of your career

    Embark on your career and acquire your MSA (school leaving certificate) now.

From the school year 2019/2020, the Integrated Vocational Training Preparation (IBA) will replace the Intermediate School Certificate (MSA) as an educational qualification in the Berlin school system.

Obtain the secondary school certificate MSA

The secondary school certificate, MSA, is these days the basic requirement in almost all professions. The one-year technical school training will prepare you for a job in the business sector. This will offer you a second chance to learn  basic theoretical and practical knowledge for the world of business and also to develop your general education.

The secondary school certificate MSA corresponds to what used to be called the Realschulabschluss in Berlin and replaces it as the school leaving certificate in the Berlin school system. And if you would like to study: The MSA is the prerequisite for gaining the university entrance certificate, Fachabitur or Abitur.

Why do I need the MSA?

For the job of your choice you need a decent school leaving qualification. The German school certificates Berufsbildungsreife (formerly Hauptschulabschluss) or the erweiterte Berufsbildungsreife (previously erweiterter Hauptschulabschluss) are simply not enough for many popular jobs anymore.

In just one year at our school you can get a fair way closer to your dream job. And you will have a business-orientated specialisation, which will give you an advantage in many traineeships.

And if you would like to go on to study, you will need the MSA. After passing the exam successfully you can then obtain a qualification with even more value by attending a technical college or grammar school. The German university entrance qualifications Fachabitur or Abitur are the basic requirements for attending respectively a University of Applied Science (Fachhochschule) or a university.

What are the requirements for MSA?

Before you can graduate with us, you need the EBBR (= "erweiterte Berufsbildungsreife"), earlier "erweiterter Hauptschulabschluss".

What is the content of the MSA course?

This course is divided into two areas: the school subjects and the business-related subjects.

In the school subjects the following is taught in the usual manner:

  • German
  • Maths
  • English
  • Economics and social studies
  • Sport

In the business-related subjects you will learn the basic knowledge for work in business, such as business administration or bookkeeping. You will need this knowledge in all areas of business.

  • Economics
  • Accounting
  • Word processing
  • Business studies

How do I get the MSA?

The school year is divided into two semesters. The first half of the year ends with a final grade in all subjects. These grades are also important, as they determine the success of the trial half-year.

The second half of the year ends with central examinations in German, mathematics and English. In English, you will also be examined orally. The fourth examination takes place in a special form. To do this, you form groups of 3 to 4 students who prepare a presentation on a self-selected topic from a learning area and present it to an examination board.

In addition, during your training you can obtain the extra certificate in English, the KMK (Kultusministerkonferenz der Länder) certificate.

Next steps

We would like to get to know you. Just register for one of our information events or arrange a personal consultation. Here we present our school and your path to a qualification or suitable alternatives at GPB College. Furthermore, we will discuss with you the possibilities for the financial support of your education.

Once all the conditions have been met, you can start with us as soon as possible. Any questions? Here are the answers!